Sunday, December 13, 2009

Going Up in the World


...40mm at a time.

While I was in Bris last week, J dropped the Pathy into Pedders where it was booked in for it's new, lifted suspension. And I must say, it was well worth it! The car sits a lot higher now - about 40mm in the front and 60mm in the rear, but more importantly, it drives beautifully.


CV angles are still well within what I'd expect are normal limits. I'd even have expected them to be on a little bigger of an angle, but I'm guessing that's due to only getting 40mm out of the front instead of the quoted 50mm (probably due to the big steel bullbar on the nose). Either way, we have the free-wheeling hubs fitted to the front wheels so that around town we can disconnect the front drive shafts and not put any additional wear and tear on the CV's.


On the rear we decided to go for the Foam-cell shocks, which are huge. They're roughly the same diameter as a coke can - massively bigger than the old units. Some people have experienced a very rough ride with the foam cell shocks in the unloaded rear, but I've been very impresses with them. It is stiffer than it was, but it also doesn't bounce around for a minute after going over a speedbump either. All in all, I'm very happy with them - it's firm, but certainly not skittish or chattery, even in the wet. I expect we'll get much better load carrying manners as well, which is important for our trip.


All in all, I'm very happy with the new gear! It's given us some additional precious ground clearance, and the car's driving beautifully. It's not huge, and it's not the most hardcore truck you've ever seen, but we're happy with it - for where we want it to take us, it should be more than enough. And it even still fits in the carport!!! :)

No comments: